Kate says

I have many alternative worlds, all on my bookshelf. Working at BookLikes.com Say hello: kate at booklikes dot com

A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin A Game of Thrones  - George R.R. Martin

Taking Part in the Game & Crush on Martin's Kings

***Taking Part in the Game

I'm not a "fad reader", well, usually. This time I submitted to popular trend and decided to give Martin one more chance. I was a lil bit cautious when i started reading this book, I had some not very good reading experience with Martin's "Fevre Dream". But to my surprise I really liked "A Game of Thrones" and already planning to read other parts.

Martin's story is clever and skilfully led, I loved the construction of characters who were consistent through the whole book. The story is quite original and unexpected twist and turns makes the reader appreciate the plot even more. What else can I say? A really good book which receives 4,5 stars from me.

***Crush on Martin's Kings

I was wary and suspicious towards the first part of the series but it appeared to be a totally different case with the second book that I had to grab and swallow (not read) in one piece and not to omit any tasty detail.
Surprising for me as I've never considered myself as a fantasy fan ("fantasy? dragons, witches?- no thank you") but apparently that's the past.

A Clash Of Kings captures, holds you tight and won't let go. I've totally immersed in Martin's world beginning from fable-like fields and cities to battle pictures and tangled intrigues-full net. Characters who I love and hate depending what page I'm on are amazingly good - I mean well created and thought over. They are consistent and make a nice whole through the parts though quite complex one. No one seems to be looked over, allowing all heroes to develop in the chapters and in my imagination.

Two "buts" - and maybe the first one results from my "non-fantasy-reading-past-experience" - this "Lady in Red", shadows born were quite weak for me. It just didn't meet my expectations although I can't say it wasn't surprising - so maybe that was the goal.
Second "but" is about Daenerys - I loved this plot in the first part but here I was feeling hunger all the time and definite insufficiency of the story.

But the whole picture very positive!
Let's see how it gonna be with the third part :)