A missing page

Finding alternative worlds in books - I have plenty of them on my shelf, a lot still waiting to be discovered.

I work and write at BookLikes.com. Any questions? Drop me a line: kate@booklikes.com

Flavored with Flavia

A Red Herring Without Mustard: A Flavia de Luce Novel (Flavia de Luce Mysteries) - Alan Bradley is third installment of Flavia de Luce adventures presented by award winning Alan Bradley. "A Red Herring Without Musterd" is a continuation of previous two books with a main character of Flavia de Luce, interesting young girl whose curiosity and unique personality lead her in the middle of troubles and crime scenes.

The story starts with Flavia visiting gypsy and hearing mystorious prophecy and accidently putting gypsy's tent on fire. Flavia feeling guilty allows eldely women to camp on her father's land and that's the beginning of mysteries and appearence of galley of personalities around Flavia. The gypsy woman is taken to the hospital after an attack, a dead man with a fork to lobsters in his nose and brain is found stuck on Neptue's trident in Flavia's garden fountain. How does it correspond to vanishing valuable objects from the residens' of Bishop's Lacey and religious sect and their rituals?

Flavia with her science mind and love to unravelling mysteries is in her element and proves it while getting involved into more and more situations. This leads to some conflicts with the Inspector (but finally chended into appreciation), her sisters and father.

The story is good, with many plots and some turns. Slow at the beginning but towards the end I swallowed pages one after another. I quite enjoyed the book althouth I have this feeling that previous two were a bigger surprise. I think that the book is a little bit too young adult for me now and that slowed down my enthisiam. I would love to see more Flavia - Inspector actions as well as get more information about her father and deceased mum (will it be next mystery?). What was too obvious for me is the fact that Flavia stays in the same age as in book one and two. I suppose that the story would gain with Flavia getting older.

But being objectve the book is well written, it isn't predictble and it's really decent YA read that's why I decided to give it 4 stars (althought this rating isn't subjective but it's not book's fault).